This is my 3rd New Year whilst home educating, and it’s the first one that I haven’t felt really fired up by HE. However, this is no bad thing! I feel relaxed, brave and sure enough to let things go at the pace they are without any feverish planning and strewing.
I’m determined to spend more time doing things that I want to do: so rather than spend my evenings reading HE blogs/on HE Facebook groups or scouring for HE resources, I’ll be picking up my sewing/watching TV or reading a book!
I’ve already started a Future Learn course – this one’s all about the constellation of Orion. I completed the first week yesterday, with D enjoying it next to me. There was nothing there that we didn’t know but we enjoyed going over it again and watching the videos.
We’ve had a lovely few weeks at my parents’ house over xmas and then a further 5 days spent with them over New Year at our house. We had a great time, as ever!
Yesterday was our first pyjama day of the new ‘term’. Always a requirement of a successful HE lifestyle :D. I had to take Morris to the vets for a general anaesthetic to have his teeth burred but the rest of the day was spent on Minecraft, interspersed with:
- experimenting with an enormous marshmallow in the microwave! We were given 2 bags of marshmallows by M’s friend B to try it out. Even D was intrigued and dared to eat it for the first time! We then continued with marshmallow fun by setting them alight over a candle.
- learning a new card game. M got this book in her stocking. We had to play with just the two of us as D doesn’t like competitive games at the moment.
- We googled where rubber comes from and then how erasers are made.
- We watched a mesmerising animation on a triangle and the Sugar Plum Fairy being played on glasses.
- The girls cleaned and cooked alongside me – they swept and mopped the kitchen floor, wiped and shined cupboards and handles and then made J’s dinner.
- We watched Snow Chick – A Penguin’s Tale, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Liar Liar.
- Sooo many questions about word means, social meanings, road safety, nature and instinct, sums, hemispheres and the zodiac to name but a few.
We went to a friend’s party on Sunday and I was so surprised that every guest there had a positive response to HE and there wasn’t one word on socialisation! I felt very confident and proud of our decision to HE and today backed up that feeling. From the outside it appeared like a slouchy pyjama day, but under the surface our brains were buzzing with questions and new connections.